Frequently Asked Questions

Master of Physician Assistant Studies

Get Your Questions Answered

When does the MPAS program start?

A new MPAS cohort begins in Graduate Term II. This is typically the week before or after Thanksgiving.

How long is your program?

The MPAS program is 9 terms for a total of 27 months.

How many people apply to your program each cycle?

Over 1,000 applicants apply to our program each cycle.

What is the class size?

We have 24 seats each year.

Do you take out of state applicants?

Yes. However, we strive to accept 40-50% of each class from applicants residing in VT/NH.

How much will the program cost?

Please refer to our website for a list of tuition and fees

Where is your program located?

The MPAS program is located at 24 Airport Rd., West Lebanon, NH, 03784.

What is the minimum GPA required to apply?

Our program uses CASPA generated GPAs when determining eligibility. The Overall GPA minimum is a 3.0. The Science GPA minimum is a 3.0. However, the average Overall and Science GPA of accepted applicants is 3.5.

Can any prerequisites be in progress when I apply to the program?

Yes, you may have two prerequisites outstanding at the time of application. If accepted into the MPAS program,
you must complete the outstanding prerequisites before matriculation into the program with a “B” or better.

I completed the prerequisite courses a long time ago; do I need to retake them?

There are no expiration dates on prerequisites. If your prerequisites are more than five years old, we recommend considering taking a refresher course.

What if my prerequisite course does not have a lab?

With the exception of Psychology and Statistics, all prerequisites must have a lab.

Do you accept AP, CLEP, audit or professional school credits for prerequisites?

No. All prerequisite courses must be taken at a regionally accredited College or University and you must have received a letter grade for the course work.

Do you accept online courses for prerequisites and/or undergraduate degree?

Yes. As long as all course work is completed at a regionally accredited institution and the prerequisites include the necessary lab requirements.

I will have my bachelor’s degree completed by the end of fall semester. Can I still apply to your program?

You may apply through CASPA before receiving your bachelor’s degree. However, if accepted into the program, a
bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution must be completed and confirmed before

Does my bachelor’s degree need to be in a medical field?

We do not specify what your degree is in; we take applicants from all different fields of study. 

Do you require health care experience?

We do not require that you have health care experience. However, we do require that you have a minimum of twenty hours shadowing a PA.

Am I required to shadow a PA or can I shadow a Nurse Practitioner or Physician?

Applicants are required to shadow at least 20 hours with a PA in order to be eligible for review.

How can I find a PA to shadow?

We recommend candidates to have a solid knowledge of the PA role and to shadow a PA. We do not provide a shadowing service. If you do not already know a PA, you may consider asking a local health care provider, local medical office or area hospital to recommend a practicing PA. Just make sure to first obtain permission from the physician assistant and be aware that you may also need permission from the hospital or clinic, as there are strict patient privacy (HIPPA) issues involved.

Can I apply to your program if I am a foreign medical doctor or international student?

Yes, you may apply to our program. Applicants with foreign transcripts must have their transcripts evaluated and sent to CASPA. While the University agrees to review the evaluation for possible transfer credits, we reserve the right to accept or deny credits based upon the results of the evaluation. Fees are the responsibility of the student. Acceptable agencies for use are those who maintain a professional membership with AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers) or NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services) and include but are not limited to: World Education Service (WES), Center for Educational Documentation (CED), Foundation for International Services (FIS), or AACRAO International Education Services (IES).

Am I required to take the GRE?


Am I required to take the TOEFL?

Yes. All applicants who were born outside of the United States and who did not graduate from a United States high school will be required to submit internet-based TOEFL (iBT) scores with their application.  A minimum total score of 100 (with at least 25 in each section) is required.  The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for submitting your score to CASPA is 3709.

Where do I send my transcripts?

Transcripts should be submitted to CASPA. Please do not submit your transcripts to our program. The only time
we require transcripts is if you are accepted into the program.

Do you offer advanced placement?


Do you have a supplemental application?

We have a supplemental application which must be submitted in your CASPA application. The application consists of your resume/CV and a copy of your PA Shadowing Verification Form.

What are the prerequisite course requirements?

Anatomy and Physiology I and II (each with lab) or separate Anatomy and Physiology (each with lab)

Chemistry I and II (each with lab) (we prefer inorganic but will substitute Biochemistry or Organic Chemistry for
Chem II)

Biology (with lab)

Microbiology (with lab)

Psychology (any Psychology course)


How do I apply to your program?

We accept applications through CASPA, the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants. You may submit your CASPA application to our program. You will need to fill in the application at their website. Please visit the
Admissions Requirements page for further details.

Do you have an application fee?

The Franklin Pierce MPAS program does not have an application or supplemental application fee. Please refer to the CASPA website for their fee information.

What is your application deadline?

November 1st.

How do I update classes I’ve completed since applying through CASPA?

Applicants are able to update their CASPA application with classes they have completed. Please do not send us your transcripts; we look at grades directly on your CASPA application.

Can I call to check on my application status?

We ask that applicants DO NOT call for status updates. We have a high volume of applications to review and cannot give updates over the phone. Applicants are updated via email when their application is received. Interview invitations are also sent via email.

When should I expect to hear from you about an interview?

Once all of your application materials have been received by the program you will be notified via email as to what the next steps in the application process are. Typically, interviews are held in the Nov-May timeframe.

Do I have to come to the campus for the interview?

Yes. We feel that meeting with you face to face gives us a better understanding of who you are.

If I am not accepted into your program can I reapply next year?

Yes. If you were placed on the wait list or were not accepted and you would like to reapply the following year, you will be required to go through the entire application process again.

Do you provide on-campus housing?

On-campus housing is not available. We provide information on local housing options/websites to applicants who are accepted into our program.

Can I attend your program part-time or participate through distance learning?

No. The MPAS program is a full-time day program that is only offered at the Lebanon Campus. 

Do you allow deferred acceptance?

We do not allow deferred acceptance.

Is the MPAS Program Accredited?

At its September 2017 meeting, the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) placed the Franklin Pierce University Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Franklin Pierce University on Accreditation-Probation status until its next review in September 2019.

Probation is a temporary status of accreditation conferred when a program does not meet the Standards and when the capability of the program to provide an acceptable educational experience for its students is threatened. 

Once placed on probation, programs that still fail to comply with accreditation requirements in a timely manner, as specified by the ARC-PA, may be scheduled for a focused site visit and/or risk having their accreditation withdrawn. 

Specific questions regarding the Program and its plans should be directed to the Program Director and/or the appropriate institutional official(s).

Can I work while enrolled in the MPAS program?

Due to the intensity and rigor of the curriculum, working while enrolled is highly discouraged.

Can you explain the Clinical Rotation phase of the MPAS program?

The second year consists of thirteen months of clinical training. This provides students with hands-on learning in a variety of rural and community clinics, hospitals and private practices under supervision of a clinical preceptor. Clinical preceptors may be Physician Assistants, MDs, DOs, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives, and Clinical Social Workers/psychologists. One rotation each of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and a Primary Care Elective make up the first 12 months of the clinical experience. Students also have an elective rotation.

Can I obtain my own clinical sites?

The Clinical Education Staff will determine clinical assignments. The primary responsibility of the program is to ensure a quality clinical experience and education. Students are not required to provide their own clinical sites or preceptors for any required rotations. Although preferences are considered, the program does not guarantee personal preference can be accommodated.

Where are clinical rotations located?

The Franklin Pierce MPAS Program has affiliations with many local sites throughout New England. While on rotations, students must be prepared to travel to assigned site.

Do you provide housing for clinical rotations?

Housing and transportation are the responsibilities of the student. Whenever possible, the program will assist in identifying housing near the assigned site. The program does not guarantee students will be able to remain near their homes or families during the clinical year.

What is your contact information?

Phone: (603) 298-5549