Types of Financial Assistance

College of Graduate and Professional Studies

Need-based Sources of Financial Assistance

There are several different types of need-based assistance available. "Need-based" means that before aid is awarded, the student and family must demonstrate financial need by providing information to Federal Student Aid Programs using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)The Franklin Pierce University Federal School Code number for the FAFSA is 002575.

Through the FAFSA, information regarding family size, income, and assets is evaluated using the federal needs analysis formula, approved by the United States Congress. The results are made available to the University. We subtract the "estimated family contribution" figure from the "cost of education" figure. When the cost of education is larger than the expected family contribution, financial need is demonstrated.

When there is "need," aid is awarded, usually in a combination of grant or loan. Not everyone receives aid from every program. For more specific details on need based aid, please direct questions to your center counselor.

Federal Pell Grant 
Pell Grants provide grant assistance ranging from $400 to $5,845 per year and are determined by formulas and federal appropriations approved annually by Congress. The application for the Federal Pell Grant is the FAFSA. For more detailed information on calculations and maximum grant limits, click here: Calculate Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility.

State Grants 
Students who are residents of most New England states or Pennsylvania may be eligible for their own State Grant Programs. If awarded a grant from any of these states, the student may use that money at Franklin Pierce University. Amounts vary per year, depending on need and availability of funds. Students from other states should check with their state awarding agency or your center counselor.

Federal Stafford Student Loan — Subsidized and Unsubsidized 
This Federal student loan carries a fixed interest rate of 4.45% for undergraduates and 6% for graduates (effective 7/1/2017). Repayment of principal and interest on Subsidized Stafford Loans begins six months after graduation, withdrawal, or less than half-time status. Students must file the FAFSA to be considered for this loan.

Students who are eligible for the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (if the student is eligible this will appear on the award notification) will have slightly different terms: interest accrues during the life of the loan and is added to principal during the time the student is enrolled in school.

Students may have up to 20 years to repay Federal Stafford Loans. Deferment provisions are available. Maximum amounts that may be borrowed are:

$3,500 freshman, $4,500 sophomore, $5,500 junior, and $5,500 senior year.
Loan disbursements will be divided over Undergraduate and Graduate Online Programs terms.

Stafford Loans will be processed using a serialized Master Promissory Note (MPN), which will be sent directly to the student. New students are encouraged to participate in the electronic processing of the Stafford Loan through Franklin Pierce University. A detailed packet of information is forwarded to students, once the loan is originated.

 Other Sources of Financial Assistance

Graduate PLUS Loan
Graduate students may borrow under the Graduate PLUS Loan Program.  PLUS loan limits equal the student’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid with no aggregate loan limits. The interest rate for PLUS loan borrowers is fixed 7% (effective 7/1/2017). Repayment begins within 60 days of when the loan is disbursed but deferment options are available.

Alternative Loan Programs 
For information on alternative loan programs, go to our Undergraduate and Graduate Online Programs Loans page, section titled "Alternative Loans."

Veterans Administration 
All eligible veterans attending Franklin Pierce University should contact their center counselor regarding eligibility for Veterans Administration or other benefits. www.va.gov  

The Franklin Pierce Alumni Association offers a scholarship once a year. Please find information about this scholarship on the Alumni Association web page

Private Scholarships 
Students should attempt to locate scholarships for which they are eligible. Download a list of scholarship web sites. Other sources of information are high school guidance offices, charitable organizations, service organizations, employee credit unions, and college libraries. Students who receive private scholarships are required to notify the Office of Student Financial Services. Private scholarships are used to cover any unmet need and then to reduce loans and work-study.