Associate Professor of Criminal Justice
- B.S., Criminal Justice, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- M.A., Criminal Justice, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Ph.D., Sociology, University of New Hampshire
- Introduction to Criminal Justice
- Police Work
- Juvenile Justice
- Senior Criminal Justice Seminar
- Introduction to Sociology
- The Family
- Introduction to Social Theory
- Law and Society
RESEARCH INTERESTS AND AREAS
- Juvenile Crime and Victimization
- Resilience from Child Maltreatment
- Deviance and Resilience in Emerging Adulthood
- American Society of Criminologist
- Law and Society Association
- American Criminological Society
- Law and Society Association
- International Family Violence and Child Victimization Conference
- Eastern Sociological Society
- FPU Faculty Development Grant
- 2014 - present, Chair, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 2009 – Present, Student Judicial Review Board, faculty advisor
- 2011 – 2013, Strategic Planning Group 2: Increase Student Success and Retention, member
- 2011 – 2014, International Studies Committee, member
- 2011 – 2013, Rindge Institutional Review Board, member
- Fall 2011, Curriculum Committee, member
- 2010 – 2011, Women in Leadership Steering Committee, member
- 2009 – 2014, Criminal Justice Department Coordinator
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2016: Student Government Association Faculty Appreciation Award
- Appointment to the Student Section of the Child Maltreatment Editorial Board
- National Data Archives on Child Abuse and Neglect, Summer Research Institute Scholarship
- Outstanding Graduate Research Student, Graduate School, UMASS Lowell
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Farmer, Forbes and Jean Dawson (2017). “American College Students' Shoplifting Experience: A Comparison of Retrospective Self-Reports to Micro-Level Criminological Theory.” International Journal of Criminal Justice Sciences, 12(1):1-23.
Dawson, Jean and Murray Straus. (2011). “Male Dominance in Society and Male Predominance in Criminal Behavior by University Students in Thirty-Two National Settings.” The Open Criminology Journal, 4:10-23.
Walsh, Wendy A., Jean Dawson and Marybeth J. Mattingly (2010). "How are We Measuring Resilience following Childhood Maltreatment? Is the Research Adequate and Consistent? What is the Impact on Research, Practice and Policy?" Trauma, Violence, and Abuse, 11(1): 27-41. DOI: 10.1177/1524838009358892.
Dawson, Jean and Melissa Wells. (2007). “Crimes Involving Child Victims: Law Enforcement Reporting to Child Protective Services.” Journal for Public Social Work, 1(4): 43-65.
Hirschel, J. David, Richard. C. Lumb and D. Jean Dawson. (2001) “Victim Assessment of the Police Response to Burglary: Does the Crime Scene Search Unit Serve More of a Law Enforcement or Public Relations Function?” Police Practice & Research, 2: 365-383.
Hirschel, J. David and D. J. Dawson. (2000) “Violence Against Women: Synthesis of Research for Law Enforcement Officials.” NCJRS Final Report: NCJ 198372. U.S. Department of Justice: Washington, D.C.
Jean Dawson. (2015) The Influence of Experiencing Corporal Punishment on College Students’ Endorsement of or Involvement in Physical Assaults? Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 2015.
Dawson, Jean, Jeroen Vermunt, Walsh, Wendy A., and Marybeth J. Mattingley. (2012) Latent Class Derived Child Maltreatment Clusters: Evidence from the National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-Being. Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 2012.
Dawson, Jean (2009). “Patterns of Offending Among American Young Adults.” Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 2009.
Dawson, Jean, Wendy A. Walsh and Marybeth J. Mattingly (2007). “Maltreatment and the Functioning of Children and Adolescents.” Presented at the 16th Annual International Family Violence and Child Victimization Conference; July 2007.
Dawson, Jean. (2006). “The Effects of Community Cohesion and Religion on Multiple Adverse Outcomes of Young Adults Residing in Rural and Non-Rural Settings.” Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Sociological Society; February 2006.
Straus, Murray A. and Jean Dawson. (2005). “Male Predominance in Criminal Behavior in the Life History of University Students in Nineteen National Settings.” Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 2005.
Dawson, Jean and Melissa Wells. (2004). “Crimes Involving Child Victims: Law Enforcement Reporting to Child Protective Services.” Presented at the 16th Annual International Family Violence and Child Victimization Conference; July 2004.
Dawson, D.J. (1999). “From Walnut Street to Wall Street: Emerging Issues in Prison Privatization.” Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 1999.