Frequently asked questions

Check out the questions frequently asked by parents and students.

Health Services serves undergraduate students currently enrolled on the Rindge campus at Franklin Pierce University.

Health forms are available at the front desk in the Health Services office. If you cannot come to our office to get the forms before the semester begins, contact us at (603)-899-4130 and we will fax or mail them to you.

We suggest building your own medicine cabinet for day-to-day needs. The health-related items recommended can be found on the What to Bring to Campus section of the Health Services Website.

A nurse practitioner and a registered nurse. The nurse practitioner can diagnose and treat routine illnesses and various medical conditions. In addition, a wide range of health promotion, education, and disease prevention are provided throughout the calendar year.

There is no cost with the exception of the fee-based services listed below:

  • Physical
  • PPD (tuberculosis)
  • Meningococcal
  • Hepatitis B
  • Flu shot
  • Tetanus booster
  • Birth control
You can pay for fee-based health service(s) with cash, a personal check or Health Services can apply the cost to your student account. We cannot process debit or credit cards.

The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention and Health Services recommends all incoming students who reside on campus receive the meningococcal vaccine. The meningitis (meningococcal) vaccine can be administered by your medical provider or by the nurse practitioner in Health Services for a fee of $120.00, (a scheduled appointment is required).

Immunization requirements may be “waived” for students who have documented medical reasons. Please be aware if you waive required immunization(s), you will NOT be allowed on campus if a preventable disease occurs.

Health insurance is not mandatory. However, in the event of an unexpected incident that may call for emergency transportation to a hospital, it is recommended that students have health insurance.

We cannot. You can request reimbursement from your insurance company for fee-based services they may cover. Health Services will provide a receipt for any fee-based service you receive, upon request.

Yes, appointments are encouraged and can be made in person, by email or phone (603) 899-4130. We will try to see you right away but cannot guarantee a same-day appointment. Emergencies will be seen immediately! Health Services is available during the week to answer any questions you may have.

Check in at the front desk (M - F, 8 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.). Health Services is located on the bottom floor of Granite Hall across from Residential Life.

Every effort will be made to see you at the time of your scheduled appointment. Please let us know if your problem feels urgent.

No. If you need to cancel or reschedule your health appointment, we ask that you please contact the front desk in Health Services via email ( or by phone, (603) 899-4130.

No. Health Services does not provide written excuses for students who miss class due to conventional illness or injury. We advise students to notify their instructors regarding their inability to attend class. If a student has a prolonged illness or hospitalization that results in missed classes, Health Services will contact the appropriate staff in the student’s behalf.

No, unfortunately we cannot spare staff to be in residence halls, as that would leave Health Services understaffed. Campus Safety officers can provide transport for you to Health Services, if needed. If you have an emergency condition, an ambulance will be summoned.

If Health Services is closed and you need medical advice and/or standard treatment, we recommend contacting Cheshire Medical Ctr. Walk-In Care in Keene; (603) 354-5484, 8 a.m.- 8 p.m., or Convenient MD, Keene; (603) 352-3406, 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Monadnock Community Hospital, 452 Old Street Road, Peterborough, NH, (603) 924-7191 (23 minute drive from campus) and Cheshire Medical Center, 580 Court Street, Keene, NH, call (603) 354-5400 (28 minute drive from campus).

Trained and certified Emergency Medical Technicians (FPU students) are available during the academic year. To contact Emergency Medical Service call 5555 from any campus phone or dial (603) 899-5555.

No, we do not. You can ask your RA, ED, roommate, or a friend for a ride. Another option to consider is calling a local taxi service.

Yes. Please be sure to note all current medications you are taking on your health form. It is important to report to Health Services any changes in your health or newly prescribed medications you need throughout your tenure at the university.

Yes, you may keep your medicine in your room in a locked box as long as it is prescribed to you and has the original label on the bottle. Your prescriptions can also be safely stored in Health Services as long as they are professionally labeled and prescribed to you. If Health Services is your choice, it is important to remember that our office is not open after 4:30 p.m. during the week or on the weekends.

The nurse practitioner dispenses some prescription medication and offers over-the-counter medication to students at no cost. Prescriptions sent out can be taken to local pharmacies to be filled. There are two local pharmacies close to campus, Hannaford Food Market (603) 899-2115 and Walmart (603) 899-6965. They are located in adjacent shopping plazas off Route 202 in Rindge, 3.1 miles from campus. The campus shuttle service (when available) provides transportation to both pharmacies.

No, not at this time.

No, a flu shot cannot cause a flu illness. The viruses contained in flu shots are inactivated (killed), which means they cannot cause infection. Flu vaccine manufacturers kill the viruses used in the flu shot during the process of making the vaccine, and batches of flu vaccine are tested to make sure they are safe.

Yes. Limited oral contraceptives and the emergency contraceptive pill (ECP) are available at Health Services for a $10.00 fee. Condoms are available in the reception area of Health Services, at no cost.

Students can borrow crutches, heating pads, and wheelchairs from Health Services (x4130), at no charge. Ask for them at the front desk.

You must complete the Authorization for Release of Information Form found online or at the front desk in Health Services. Once you have completed and signed this form bring it to the front desk and you will receive your was and physical exam.

Health Services maintains confidentiality for all students seen in accordance with professional ethics and legal guidelines. Medical records are kept separate from educational records and no information is released without the student’s written consent. Student medical records are kept for five years after graduation or transfer.

If you have a comment, complaint, suggestion, or compliment about your visit to Health Services, we encourage you to participate in our quality-of-care survey distributed by the nurse practitioner at the end of your visit..

Health Services requires all incoming students be immunized against a number of infectious diseases, complete a tuberculosis (TB) screening questionnaire, and provide a physical exam (within the past 2 years). Proof of immunity signed by your medical provider is required or a medical form of exemption. Without this information, a “health hold” will be placed on your class registration.

Health Services works in tandem with Outreach and Counseling Services. Outreach and Counseling Services provides counseling services for current undergraduate students at no cost. Outreach is located on the first floor of Granite Hall adjacent to Health Services. You can make an appointment at the front desk or call (603) 899-4130, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Emergencies will be seen, as soon as possible! If you have an after-hours emergency, please call Campus Safety at (603) 899-5555.

Counselors are available on campus for students. Please contact Outreach and Counseling Services, Health Services, Campus Safety (603) 899-5555 or the Monadnock Center for Violence Prevention (24 hrs./day) at (603) 352-3782 or 888-511-MCVP.

CONTACT Health Services

Health Services

(603) 899-4130
Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


(603) 899-5555
(On-Campus) Ext. 5555